Guardian Angel Funds
Bursaries and Awards
Over 59,000 TCDSB students receive a healthy breakfast or morning meal through the Student Nutrition Programs.
Each program is unique and a reflection of its community. Student Nutrition Programs (SNPs) are operated in schools by volunteers. Each program is universally offered to all students, serving 3 food groups, 5 days a week.
Some proven benefits of these programs are that they:
- provide nutrients and energy so that students are ready to learn and participate in school;
- create healthier eating habits; and
- support improved academic performance.
There are a variety of reasons why children come to school hungry, including:
- bussed-in students often eat very early and are hungry again once the school day begins;
- working parents maintain busy schedules and are unable to ensure that breakfast is eaten daily;
- or unfortunately, there is not enough food in the home.
Municipal and provincial government grants subsidize approximately 25% of the costs associated with running SNPs. Each school provides the balance through fundraising, parent donations and corporate donations.
Your donation can help bridge the gap to achieve a sustainable program. Donors may direct funds to a particular school.
You can direct your donation to the Student Nutrition Program Wing of Support through our Canada Helps page.
If you are interested in volunteering in a SNP, contact the school principal.